Associate General Counsel, Product/Regulatory
Aptos is a people-first blockchain on a mission to help billions of people achieve universal and fair access to decentralized assets in a safe and scalable way.
Founded by some of the original creators and maintainers that researched, designed, and built the Diem blockchain to serve this purpose, we have dedicated several years toward this mission. We believe the open-source Diem technology we have developed is an important foundation of a safe and scalable web3 world where everyone has more equitable opportunities to grow and access financial assets with lower fees and fewer intermediaries.
Aptos (Ohlone for "The People") encompasses our mission and ethos for why we build.
About The Role:
Aptos Labs is looking for exceptional candidates to serve as Associate General Counsel or Senior Counsel (depending on experience) on the legal team related to its blockchain initiative. You will be responsible for leading product and regulatory legal matters at Aptos Labs. As product/regulatory counsel at Aptos Labs, this role has a broad range of responsibilities and will support the product development and marketing teams, insure regulatory compliance across the organization and also advise on legal risks, product launches and business strategies. This is a great opportunity to join a growing legal team and work at the forefront of helping to build one of the leading layer 1, proof-of-stake blockchains and have a major global impact around the world.
What you'll be doing:
- Provide guidance to product, engineering, marketing, and go-to-market teams on issues related to new and existing products and features.
- Insure products and services of the company meet all legal and regulatory requirements
- Stay up-to-date on relevant U.S. and international laws and regulations and public policy matters, especially those related to financial regulation and blockchain related matters, and advise the team on how such matters and developments may influence business strategies and insure continued compliance
- Develop trusted relationships with business partners and stay informed on key product developments
- Work collaboratively across multiple functions to help build scalable and effective processes for providing legal input to clients on strategic product initiatives
- Provide practical legal and strategic business advice to the product teams and help develop a comprehensive, long-term approach to support new product developments and customer experiences.
- Ability to lead and manage numerous initiatives and meet tight deadlines when necessary to achieve business objectives
- Open to travel as and when required
- Legal team at Aptos Labs is very cross-functional so this role will be expected to contribute in other legal areas such as commercial (contracts, tech trans, etc.), intellectual property and corporate (e.g. grants, investments, etc.) matters when needed.
What we’re looking for:
- J.D. degree (or foreign equivalent) and member of the California or New York bar
- 7+ years of legal experience (either in-house and/or at a law firm), with a background in product counsel, regulatory matters, or technology transactions. Senior Counsel or Associate General Counsel title shall be determined based on experience level.
- Experience counseling and advising clients and product and engineering teams on business and risk mitigation strategies in connection with the launch of products and services
- Experience advising business teams to insure regulatory compliance across multiple jurisdictions
- Experience building relationships and collaborating cross-functionally with external partners, product teams and other members of the legal team to ensure business needs are met and company remains in compliance with regulatory requirements
- Excellent legal judgment and outstanding communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to research and master complex legal and regulatory topics, communicate them to non-lawyers in clear, easy to understand language
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Background in fintech and/or blockchain and experience with the legal issues arising from fintech and/or blockchain applications
The base salary range for this full-time position is $180k - $260k. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and typical maximum target for new hire salaries for the position of a candidate based in the Bay Area at any level. We do hire exceptionally talented professionals with decades of experience in their field. As such, our range may be higher than what is displayed. Our base salary ranges are determined by experience and location, and we hire at all levels for multiple roles. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location, job-related skills demonstrated during the interviews, working experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in role postings reflect the base salary only and do not include equity, tokens, or benefits.
- 100% insurance premium coverage for medical, dental, and vision for you and your dependents
- Equipment of your choice
- Flexible vacation time, 11 holidays, and floating company days off
- Competitive Salary
- Equity (RSUs)
- Protocol Token Grants
- 401k matching
- Fun and inclusive in-person and digital events
Aptos is committed to diversity in the workplace, and we’re proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not hire on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal law. All employment is decided based on qualifications, merit, and business need.
Something looks off?