SR. DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR
Coin Metrics is a leading provider of cryptoasset data for institutions. We deliver transparent and actionable data and analytics to various industry stakeholders including asset managers, custodians, trading venues, research desks, and data/application providers. Coin Metrics’ data empowers its clients and the public to better understand, use and value open crypto networks.
Join a fast-paced startup pioneering novel metrics, data products, and intelligence solutions, which offer insights into the economics, markets, usage, health, and other aspects of public cryptocurrency blockchains like Bitcoin and Ethereum and other crypto networks.
You will be surrounded by talented people passionate about decentralized economies and the data behind them. Break new ground, create exciting new data-driven research and products, and help shape the future of finance.
Coin Metrics is seeking an experienced Sr. Database Administrator to join our team. As a Sr. Database Administrator, you will be responsible for designing and implementing secure, scalable, and reliable cloud solutions to support our growing platform. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of cloud infrastructure, architecture, and design principles, and will be comfortable working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Building distributed, scalable, reliable, cost-effective, and performant database architectures.
- Working closely with software development engineers to build optimal solutions.
- Scaling and capacity planning (>200TB).
- Collaborating with the infrastructure team on the processes and administration of database solutions including provisioning, data lifecycle maintenance, backups, and server tuning.
- Driving database technology excellence and consistency across multiple software engineering teams.
- Expert advising engineers on software design and system architecture related to databases.
- Applying technical insight that informs, enables, and drives database technology innovation.
- Evaluate the feasibility of alternative database implementations and produce performance benchmarks.
- Planning cloud architecture on AWS, GCP, and Bare-metal using Terraform and Ansible.
- Designing CI/CD pipelines using Bash, Python, and other languages.
- Monitoring database infrastructure using Prometheus and Grafana
YOUR EXPERTISE AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience with the architecture and implementation of distributed backend applications, multi-datacenter configurations, and databases using Bare-metal servers and/or Kubernetes.
- 7+ years of direct experience in data architecture, database architecture, or backend engineering roles.
- Proficiency in SQL (preferably PostgreSQL) with demonstrated experience with query plans, index configurations, and other profiling techniques.
- Experience configuring, running, and maintaining databases of various types, preferably through container management toolkits such as Docker or Kubernetes.
- Deep backend software engineering knowledge and excellent troubleshooting abilities.
- Strong focus on reliability and scalability.
- Experience with scaling and migrating databases in a changing environment that allows for little or no downtime.
- Willingness to mentor engineers on best database practices.
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, GitLab CI, Gradle, Ansible, Helm, Python, Grafana, Prometheus, and Linux.
- You've been a Lead for a project to migrate services from self-hosted to Cloud
- Experience migrating and managing large datasets across Cloud providers
- Experience with Prometheus and Grafana for metrics and alerting
- Infrastructure and Network Security experience.
- Experience leading Incident Management Policy/Process, handling incidents in production, running retrospectives, delivering RCAs
- Interest in blockchain technologies.
LIFE AT COIN METRICS
Coin Metrics is a fun and fast-paced team with staff members located in 8 countries. We are united by our OPEN (Open, Pioneering, Elucidating, and Neutral) core values. Our employees are empowered to do what’s best for our products, customers, and team members. Other benefits of working at Coin Metrics include:
- Competitive salary, 401(k) retirement plan, bonus and options plans
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision
- Remote or hybrid work options
- Paid time off
- Global company offsites
Coin Metrics is an employer committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coin Metrics will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Know Your Rights notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coin Metrics participates in the E-Verify program where applicable, as required by law.