Senior Software Engineer (Rust)
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2022
At Matter Labs, we believe freedom drives progress and prosperity. We don’t see ourselves as a company, but as a team aligned around a single mission: to advance personal freedom for all (see ZK Credo).
To achieve this goal, we’re building zkSync — a credibly neutral, fully open source technology stack and network on top of Ethereum, which is owned and governed by its community. We use advanced cryptography called zero-knowledge proofs to scale Ethereum infinitely without compromising on security or decentralization. With a world-class team, a community of over 1M supporters across Twitter + Discord, and hundreds of millions $ in funding, we have abundant resources to accomplish the mission.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Core Team. Your task scope will include design and implementation of the zkSync smart contract platform: zero-knowledge-proof-friendly virtual machine, protocol full node optimized for high-load, p2p network, consensus, etc.
This role is full-time with a strong preference for candidates located in the EU. We are not currently hiring in the US.
What You'll Be Doing
- Design and implementation of the zkSync smart contract platform: zero-knowledge-proof-friendly virtual machine
- Protocol full node optimized for high-load, p2p network, consensus, etc.
- Conduct independent research in your area of ownership, design, implement, and document solutions, and potentially lead a team
What We Look For in You
- 5+ years in back-end development
- Driven by passion, curiosity, and desire to make a meaningful contribution to the world
- Fluency in Rust, C++, Scala, Java or Go - we work primarily with Rust, but prior experience with this language is not mandatory
- Some functional programming experience or or exposure with languages like Haskell
- Comprehensive knowledge of the tradeoffs made between different data storage systems i.e. Postgres, mySQL, mongoDB
- Deep understanding of software engineering best-practices
- Ownership mindset and a track record of successfully accomplished projects
- In-depth knowledge of common algorithms, data structures, and their computational and memory complexities
- Experience implementing data structures and algorithms from scratch
- Experience in cryptography/high-load/protocols design is a big plus
- Fluent written and spoken English
Working at Matter Labs
At Matter Labs, you have the freedom to work how you want, when you want, and from where you want. All positions are 100% remote (with optional travel to team and/or industry events). We operate in lean and nimble teams, with no time tracking and minimum bureaucracy. We move fast. Only results matter. We will provide you with everything you need to learn, grow, and be productive.
Our results-only environment means anyone who believes in our mission can join us, regardless of background, sexual orientation, race, gender, and age. Both our team and community are made up of people from diverse backgrounds. That's why, out of politeness and respect, we refrain from opinions on politics, religion, or sex at the workplace.
We designed our culture around the tenants of freedom and ownership. This ethos will underpin our positive-sum community as we evolve toward full decentralization.
If this role resonates with you, apply now for prompt feedback.
Read more about working at Matter Labs here.
Important: We are remote-first, operating in the timezones between UTC-5 (Latam and Atlantic Coast) to UTC+7 (South-East Asia). While we’re currently not hiring in the US, we do consider US-based applicants willing to relocate.