Backend Engineer (Remote, Global)
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2023
Metatheory Inc. is a technology-driven entertainment company. With a focus on blockchain, we build games, interactive multi-platform stories, and virtual world experiences imagined across innovative story franchise IPs. We are a remote-first dynamic team of builders, developers, and entrepreneurs that include key founding members from Twitch, as well as Emmy and Peabody Award winning producers and storytellers.
Our flagship IP is DuskBreakers, an eccentric, interactive sci-fi saga set in a post-apocalyptic world where a mysterious alien ship (The Dusk) becomes a beacon of hope for humanity. The franchise spans games, video, NFTs, and other media formats.
We are seeking a talented and experienced Backend Engineer to join our team. As a Backend Engineer at Metatheory, you will be responsible for designing and developing high-quality, scalable, and reliable backend systems for our video games and software applications. You will work closely with other members of the development team, including front-end developers, game designers, and project managers, to ensure that our products meet the needs of our users.
We are only accepting applications from candidates residing in California, Texas, Washington, Nevada, Illinois, Tennessee, and Pennsylvania. Candidates outside these states will not be considered at this time.
- Write clean, maintainable, and well-documented Typescript code on the Node platform using domain-driven design principles
- Develop and maintain AWS infrastructure as code using tools
- Build and maintain both server based and serverless systems with an understanding of when to apply microservice architecture
- Implement and maintain monitoring, logging, and alerting systems to ensure the reliability and availability of our backend services
- Develop and maintain integrations with third-party APIs and services
- Participate in code reviews and provide constructive feedback to improve code quality and team performance
- Collaborate with other developers, product managers, and stakeholders to identify and implement new features and improvements
- Document technical specifications, architecture diagrams, and other technical documentation as needed
- Stay up-to-date with the latest technologies and best practices in backend development and contribute to the continuous improvement of our software stack
- Bachelor's degree in CS, Engineering or equivalent work experience
- 4+ years in building large scale software applications
- Experience with relational and/or NoSQL databases (e.g., MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB)
- Experience with cloud-based infrastructure and technologies (e.g., AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform)
- Experience with building backend systems, including REST APIs and GraphQL
- Understanding of API design and development best practices
- Familiarity with agile development methodologies
- Excellent debugging and optimization skills
- Unit/Integration testing experience
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Experience with game server backend technologies
- Familiarity with blockchain technology and smart contract development
- Contributions to open source projects
Candidates should be comfortable working in a remote, fast-paced, fluid, and ever-changing startup environment with a globally distributed team. We are currently remote first and will always embrace work from home culture, although we may have some more offices in the future. Candidates should be excited about the future potential of blockchain, but no prior experience is required.
Metatheory is committed to fair and equitable compensation for all of our employees. Actual compensation packages are based on a variety of factors such as job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and specific work location.
We were founded to challenge the ways that we all relate to games and storytelling, and in doing so change how we relate to each other. As an equal opportunity employer, we aim to create a culture of safety and belonging from how we hire to how we build communities.
Even if you do not meet all of the qualifications listed above, but feel you could add a valuable perspective to our organization, we’d still love to hear from you!
See more open positions at Metatheory
Something looks off?